Thursday, March 19, 2009

Our Own Pattern Design!



It's a first! Ever since Amy and I opened Yellow Bird Art we discussed designing our own patterns. Ten years ago I designed and made one of a kind handbags that I sold at art fairs and our NE Iowa Studio Tour. Then fate intervened and I couldn't design or spend time sewing. Well, I'm back! I love designing - thinking through the construction issues is my favorite part. Well, except maybe for picking fabrics, trims and buttons. And watching the drawing come into physical reality!
Yellow Bird Art is participating in a spring bus tour on May 1 and 2 called the Bag Lady Express. The tours will visit primarily Top 10 quilt shops in Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin. It is a terrific opportunity to visit some of the best quilt shops in the Midwest! I figured since it was a Bag Lady trip that I could design a new handbag for the tour participants.
The bag is about 19" at it's widest and about 16" H, not including the strap. There is a large exterior front pocket, and two roomy pockets inside. The front pocket and top band are secured with magnetic snaps. The handle, which I'm very pleased with, uses a slider so that you can shorten the strap to carry the bag like a handbag, or lengthen the strap to carry the bag from your shoulder, or across your chest so you can be hands-free. The front pocket features foundation pieced fabrics and is trimmed with beaded ribbon from India. The top band is Matka silk for some nice texture and the button is an awesome vintage button I found at my secret button source.
All the ladies who go on the trip will receive a FREE copy of this pattern. I would guess that shops will have kits to sell also. You'll be able to purchase the pattern from Yellow Bird Art after the bus tour is over. I know we have 41 excited participants signed up already, so if you've been hesitating, hurry and give us a call. You can go to http://yellowbirdart.com/ to get more details about the tour!

No comments: