Thursday, May 6, 2010

It's a New Day!

As Amy and the Birds have been wrapping up the closing of Yellow Bird Art, Amy and I have been asked about a gazillion times, "What are you doing to be doing?"  And believe me, that question has been going through our minds almost constantly.  I know Amy has several great options and some real nice job offers, but she's just focusing on closing YBA for the time being.  I'm sure Amy will let ya'll know what's next in her life once Yellow Bird is closed.

At times I've felt that just continuing to remain upright and mobile was a good goal for myself.  But I really, really love fabric and quilting, and sewing, and yarns and knitting, and crafting, and art and creating - and, oh yes, the customers.  So after much discussion and soul searching, I'm beginning a new - very small - (emphasis on small) business.  
Ta-Dah!!

Summer Kitchen Quilts 
Jennie and Tammy at Old Drawing Board are busy creating a new graphic package for me and a new web site with a shopping cart.  We probably won't be ready to open until mid summer, but I'll keep you updated

I'll be selling wonderful fabrics at prices you're going to just flip over!  I will be primarily a web based business, but once we move to our new "old" house in New Albin, Iowa, I'll probably be open one day a week for those of you who must touch fabric.  Now, I want to make sure you all understand, this isn't going to be a big fancy quilt shop.  There won't be samples, or thousands of patterns or books or notions.  I'm going to focus on small collections of high quality fabrics at low prices.  I'll carry some basic threads, some sewing machine needles, my own collection of patterns (I'm going to be designing!) and some books IF I can find some great bargains for you.  

But for right now, I'm going to offer some classes at my home out in the country.  Our home is two restored log cabins (1860 & 1880), and a huge addition we built in 2000. I'll be offering a variety of creative classes in the next couple of months.  To begin with, I'll be teaching a class for my Little Bag, pictured below.
 This design is one of a collection of boutique bags I designed and made several years ago.  The Little Bag retailed at $185.00 to $250.00 depending on the fabrics customers wanted and the amount and kinds of embellishments used.  People have begged me to make the patterns public, and I've decided that now is a great time to do just that!

Now, you need to hop on over to my new blog:  www.SummerKitchenQuilts.blogspot.com to get all the details on the classes I'll be offering and all the other information you need to sign up!

P.S.  I'm about 40 minutes from Decorah, 90 minutes from Rochester, 50 minutes from LaCrosse, 15 minutes from New Albin, and 30 minutes from Waukon or Lansing.

posted by Angela 

 

No comments: